Simple Tips to Take Charge of Your Emotions at Work
Human beings are emotional creatures. For some, in an ideal world, we should be able to express our emotions and not suppress them. However, in reality, there are situations where we must manage our emotions extremely well. That’s notably the case at work.
For many, work can be a stressful place. And, if you don’t manage the pressure properly, you might find yourself doing and saying things that detract from your effectiveness at the moment – and beyond.
In this episode, Dr. Thompson covers helpful strategies that will help you to develop a greater awareness of your emotions in the moment so that you can (1) recognize what’s going on and (2) manage them so that they don’t unintentionally hijack your behavior.
- What is Emotional Contagion?
- As a boss, you should know that your mood is the most powerful influence in the office.
- Listen to your body.
- Find an accountability partner. Find someone you trust who can give you feedback.
- Identify your triggers.
- Be proactive, not reactive.
- Negative emotions serve a purpose.
- Get enough sleep at night.
- 3-step process to manage your emotions
- Need some more help managing your emotions on the job? Click here.